CFA: Association of Architectural Educators Conference 2023
The Association of Architectural Educators (AAE) 2023 has announced a call for abstracts for their conference titled, 'Disruptive: spaces of exploration in-between architectural pedagogy and practice'. The conference will be held on 16th November 2022.
The Conference will bring together architectural academics, students, practitioners and built environment stakeholders to collectively discuss the 'productive/disruptive capacity of ‘gaps’ between architectural education, architectural practice, and current social, economic and environmental challenges.'
The conference theme explores the relationship between architectural pedagogy and practice. The basis of the theme emerges from the reflection of architectural educators at the Welsh School of Architecture, on the shift amongst Master's students returning from a year in practice. More of the students' design and research projects are investigating how architectural education and practices’ are responding to global crises in environment, race, economy, health, equality and justice. The emerging critiques and urgency extend beyond questions of gaps between pedagogy and practice, framing broader requisites of ethical practice.
The conference, therefore, positions the lens for the conference theme as 'the question of whether graduating students are ready for practice is thus now increasingly interwoven with the question of whether practice is ready for them.'
Prompts that articulate the conference's discourse topic are as follows:
- How might the gap between architectural education and architectural practice be probed to productively expose and disrupt ways of working which are no longer fit for purpose?
- What are potential intermediary roles in proposing effective drivers for change?
- How can architectural education, including curriculum design, evolve to better address the issues and challenges that cities and societies face?
Important dates to consider for participation in the conference are:
- 23 September 2022 - Call for papers and workshop proposals
- 16 November 2022 - Deadline for abstract submissions for papers and workshop proposals
- 14 December 2022 - Notification of acceptance / Registration opens
- 1 March 2023 - Deadline for draft papers for peer review feedback
- 3 May 2023 - Deadline for full papers for conference proceedings
- 12-15 July 2023 - Conference Events
More information about the conference venue and paper submission can be found here.