Art x Architecture IN SITU: Audio Tour
Various sites across the University of Melbourne, Parkville Campus
Presented by The University of Melbourne’s Museums & Collections and the Melbourne School of Design, supported by the National Gallery of Victoria and Melbourne Design Week.
Art x Architecture IN SITU is an immersive, self-led audio tour, triggered by QR-codes at various sites of contemporary and historical architectural significance across the University of Melbourne’s Parkville campus. Using digital storytelling of the buildings and programs within them, attendees can create their own tour based on individual interest. Buildings include:
- Old Quad, the oldest University of Melbourne building and first university building to commence construction in Australia. Original building designed by Francis Maloney White and completed in 1857, redevelopment completed by Lovell Chen in 2019.
- Grainger Museum, the only purpose-built autobiographical museum in Australia. Designed by John Gawler of the firm Gawler and Drummond, in close consultation with composer Percy Grainger, completed in 1938.
- Glyn Davis Building (MSD) designed by John Wardle Architects in collaboration with Boston architecture firm NADAAA, completed 2014.
- Arts West, home of the Faculty of Arts. Designed ARM, in partnership with Architectus, completed in 2016; and,
- Science Gallery Melbourne (SGM), opened to the public in January 2022. Designed by William Smart at Smart Design Studio and completed 2021.
Tour stops include interviews with each of the architecture firms behind some of the most unique contemporary architecture, and two of buildings of historical significance, around the University’s Parkville campus. Curators from exhibitions currently showing in each building, Emu Sky at Old Quad, Sounding Grainger at Grainger Museum, 21 x 10 at Arts West, the NH Architecture Survey at the Glyn Davis Building (MSD) and MENTAL at Science Gallery Melbourne.
Associate Professor Rory Hyde, MSD
Hannah Presley, M&C
Tilly Boleyn, Curator, MENTAL
Samantha Comte, Curator, 21 x 10
Zena Cumpston, Curator, Emu Sky
Dr Heather Gaunt, Curator, Grainger Museum
Associate Professor Rochus Hinkel, Designer, Sounding Grainger
Sydney Miller, Composer, Sounding Grainger
Peter Lovell, Director, Lovell Chen Architects
Hamish Lyon, NH Architecture
Ian McDougall, ARM
William Smart, Smart Design Studio
Thu 17 – Sun 27 March
Open 24 Hours
Please note: Exhibition access inside buildings limited to individual exhibition hours, please check exhibition websites for further details.
FREE, no booking needed
This event is part of Melbourne Design Week 2022, an initiative of the Victorian Government in collaboration with the NGV.