Artificial Intelligence and Design Culture Panel Discussion
PACCAR Theatre, Science Gallery, 700 Swanston Street, (enter via Grattan Street), Parkville, VIC, 3010
This thought-provoking panel discussion explores how designers and researchers from various design disciplines are engaging with new and emerging artificial intelligence technologies in their creative practices.
With the recent public dissemination of text-to-image, image-to-image, text-to-video, and text-to-model technologies among others, designers have been presented with a broad range of novel capacities. Both local and international creative practitioners from a range of design disciplines will present and discuss how their engagement with these capacities augments their creativity.
The panel will also be an opportunity to reflect on the larger considerations of how AI may affect the ways in which we will design and create the worlds that we want.
While discussions will centre on how it is currently used in the creative process and what the future transformations may be, it is also intended as a space to speculate on how this sustains or transforms existing design practices and lineages.
- Leire Asensio-Villoria, Melbourne School of Design, University of Melbourne
- Nic Bao, School of Architecture, RMIT University
- Gabby Bush, Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Digital Ethics, University of Melbourne
- Hilary Campilan, Motion Graphic Artist
- David Mah, Melbourne School of Design, University of Melbourne
- J Rosenbaum, AI Artist and Researcher, RMIT University
- Mond Qu, Designer and Founder, United Make
- Vei Tan and Patrick Macasaet, Designers and Founders, Superscale
This event is part of Melbourne Design Week 2023, an initiative of the Victorian Government in collaboration with the NGV.