Social structures, smart development and economic growth
Yasuko Hiraoka Myer Room, Level 1, Room 106, Sidney Myer Asia Centre
The Melbourne School of Design and Australia India Institute are hosting a two-day symposium to bring together researchers and practitioners from Australia, India and Switzerland to explore smart urban development and regional innovation.
Entry to both events is free, but bookings are required. Register here.
Day 1: Tuesday 27 March, 8.45am-1.30pm
Researchers and practitioners will share their direct experiences of specific communities of practice, aiming to identify portable lessons as well as place-bound variables.
MSD Senior Lecturer in Construction Technology Blair Gardiner and Professor of Building Paolo Tombesi are among the presenters.
Day 2: Wednesday 28 March, 6-7.45pm
Public forum: Smart construction for environmentally responsible and socially equitable cities: Australian and Indian experiences.
This public discussion will explore how to redefine 'smart' technologies to deliver affordable and environmentally responsible building and housing for populations in Australian and Indian cities.
- Paolo Tombesi (moderator), Professor of Building, University of Melbourne and Professor at the Smart Living Lab, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
- Sambit Datta, Professor of Architecture at Curtin University and Director of a Perth-based design and digital application innovation firm
- Surya Kakani, Professor and Dean of Architecture at CEPT University and head of an architectural practice in Ahmedabad
- Arunava Dasgupta, Associate Professor and Head of Urban Design, School of Architecture and Planning, Delhi
- Chitra Vishwanath, Managing Director, Biome Environmental Solutions, Bangalore
- Srikantaiah Vishwanath, Planning Director, Biome Environmental Solutions and Advisor, Arghyam Foundation, Bangalore
- Priyan Mendis, Professor of Infrastructure Engineering and Director of the Centre for Advanced Manufacturing of Prefabricated Housing, University of Melbourne
- Alan Pert, Professor of Architecture and Director, Melbourne School of Design