The Andrew Lee King Fun Gallery is the more intimate of the building's two exhibition spaces. The gallery display the outcomes of student and academic scholarship, as well as design projects by local and international practitioners.
The naming of this Gallery recognises Andrew Lee King Fun’s important contribution to the profession and his generous philanthropic gift to the new building fund. Examples of both Andrew and Douglas Lee’s work can be seen in the Digital Gallery on the Lower Ground Floor Concourse.
Following a first degree from Hong Kong University, Andrew Lee King Fun graduated in architecture from the University of Melbourne in 1959. He also met his future wife, Frances Cheng, at the University – in the cafeteria on their first day in 1957. Mr Lee worked in Melbourne and Malaysia before returning to Hong Kong in 1961. The following year he founded Andrew Lee King Fun and Associates, which employs more than 120 staff. His firm has designed and completed numerous building projects in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Vietnam, notably: the Kadoorie Agricultural Research Centre for
the University of Hong Kong, Sofitel Jin Jiang Oriental Pudong Hotel, AIA Tower (Hong Kong), MLC Tower (Hong Kong), La Cite Noble residential complexes (Hong Kong) and the Jing-an Hilton Hotel. The latter was awarded the 1949-1989 Best Building Award in Shanghai and the Silver Award of the Top Classical Buildings in Shanghai for the 50th Anniversary of the Founding of the People’s Republic of China. The firm also won a BCI Asia Top 10 Award in 2011 in the Hong Kong SAR which recognises the top architectural firms and developers that have had the greatest impact on the built environment in Southeast Asia.
In 2014, Mr Lee’s son Douglas, also a Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning graduate and generous supporter, assumed an active leadership role in the practice.