Graduate Coursework Programs
Please ensure that you meet all the admissions requirements for the program you are applying for and follow the checklist below to apply.
- Completion of an undergraduate degree
- Submission of academic results
- English language
- Personal statement
- Design portfolio
- Application dates
- Apply now
- Late applications
- Contact us
Completion of an undergraduate degree
Ensure you meet the undergraduate degree (Bachelor degree) prerequisite for the program you would like to apply for.
- A three-year undergraduate degree with a weighted average of at least 65% is required to apply for most programs in the MSD
- Three-year undergraduate degrees in related disciplines are required to apply for 200 point stream in the Master programs. If you have completed a three-year undergraduate degree in a non-related discipline you must apply for the 300 point stream in the Master programs
- The exception is the Master of Urban Planning which is a two-year program only and open to students of all backgrounds
Submission of academic results
Provide an original or copy of your academic transcript together with a grading scale used by the University (or Faculty/Department) where you completed your undergraduate degree.
If you have completed your Bachelor degree at the University of Melbourne you do not need to submit a hard copy of your results.
All applicants must satisfy the University's English Language Requirements. For the Melbourne School of Design these are:
|IELTS (academic English only)*||6.5 (no band less than 6.0)|
|TOEFL (paper-based test)*||577 + TWE 4.5|
|TOEFL (internet-based test)*||79 + Writing 21; Speaking 18; Reading 13; Listening 13|
|Pearson Test for English (academic)||58-64 inclusive & no communicative skill below 50|
Applications for the following graduate professional programs require a personal statement of up to 500 words outlining prior study, work experience, and motivation to undertake the program:
- Master of Architecture
- Master of Construction Management
- Master of Landscape Architecture
- Master of Property
- Master of Urban Planning
Your statement can be uploaded via the online application system. There is also the option to include two references from professional or academic sources.
A design portfolio is required for the following programs:
- Master of Architecture (both 200 and 300 point streams)
- Master of Landscape Architecture (200 point stream only)
- Master of Urban Design
Submitting your portfolio
- Portfolios are to be submitted through the online submission portal Slideroom: https://msd.slideroom.com.
- You will need to set up a Slideroom account to upload your portfolio after you have completed your University of Melbourne online application and received a University of Melbourne applicant identification number.
- Following completion of your online application you will receive a link to the MSD Slideroom portal.
- Payment and portfolio requirements are outlined below.
There is a portfolio submission fee of USD$5 which you will need pay before your portfolio can successfully be submitted.
You can pay the submission fee using one of the following: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, JCB, Diner’s Club and China Union Pay.
- The file size of your portfolio should not exceed 10 MB
- The number of pages should not exceed 15 single pages. Please note this includes cover page and contents.
- The portfolio must be saved as one PDF file and must be in landscape format. Do not print PDF as spread.
- Note that portfolios are evaluated digitally and should be easily readable with limited zooming or scrolling
Each page of your portfolio should include:
- If your work is a product of university study please specify a short description of the brief, the academic year level of the studio and the nature of your involvement (i.e. individual or group work)
- If images are taken from work experience, clearly state the nature of your involvement in the project (drafting, design or other)
- Where a page of the portfolio has multiple images, please label each image
- Applicants for the Master of Architecture 200pt stream are encouraged to use the Design Portfolio Template when compiling their portfolios.
- Review design portfolio tips from Paul Loh, MSD Lecturer in Digital Architecture Design: How to prepare your design portfolio for admission into the Melbourne School of Design (pdf)
- See how design portfolios are assessed by the Selection Committee: Design Portfolio Matrix
Final application deadline dates are as follows:
Semester 1, 2018
- International Students: Sunday, 31 October 2017
- Domestic Students: Thursday, November 30 2017
Semester 2, 2018
- International Students: Monday, 30 April 2018
- Domestic Students: Thursday, May 31 2018
Master of Architecture 300 point (3 year) stream has specific deadlines - application deadline for domestic and international applications is 30 November 2017 (into Semester 1, 2018) and there will be no late applications accepted.
- Semester start dates are available in the Academic Calendar
- Melbourne School of Design accepts applications throughout the year, making it easier for you to plan your future. Entry to our programs is competitive and applications are assessed by a Selection Committee who take into account each student's qualifications and potential.
- If you are an international student, you should hear of the outcome of your application within 6–8 weeks of submission of your complete application (including all supporting documentation) when applying for the next available intake.
- If you are a domestic student, you should hear within 2–4 weeks of submission of your complete application (including all supporting documentation) when applying for the next available intake.
- Applications for the Master of Architecture 300 point program will be assessed in December (no late applications accepted). We anticipate that application outcomes for this program will be released in the week before Christmas.
- Please be aware that applications which are not for the next immediate intake may take longer to assess as we prioritise applications for the upcoming semester.
- Domestic applicants must complete the online application form
- Domestic applicants are Australian citizens and permanent residents, New Zealand citizens, and holders of a permanent humanitarian visa.
We anticipate letting you know the outcome of your application within four weeks after receiving the complete application.
- Late applications may be accepted in special circumstances; however international students are advised to apply as early as possible to avoid visa delays.
- No late applications will be accepted for the Master of Architecture (300 point stream).
If you need more information before submitting your application, we are here to help.
Call us: 13 6352 | International: +(61 3) 9035 5511