Mentor our students
The ABP 2018 Pilot Mentoring Program aims to assist female Master of Construction students with their career decision-making process, and enable a smooth transition from tertiary study to professional life.
Please note that applications for this program have now closed. However, please stay tuned and watch your inbox for a notification about an exciting, faculty-wide mentoring program coming online in early August.
- Mentors and construction students are matched broadly by professional interest
- The program will run throughout semester two (30 July to 19 October)
- Mentors and students are recommended to meet at least 3 times during the semester
- Mentors help familiarize students with their area of work and the career options available to construction graduates
- Mentors are encouraged to share their decision-making processes in choosing a career path and their experiences throughout their career
- Both parties observe confidentiality and a professional and ethical standard of behaviour, including adhering to occupational health and safety requirements.
Meetings with your student might include:
- Conversations regarding work/study/construction matters
- Providing a sounding board regarding career planning and development
- Discussing the benefits of extracurricular opportunities
- Introducing your student to colleagues and professional network
- Work shadowing if appropriate (observing)
Benefits of getting involved
Connection with the University of Melbourne and its community of academics and students allows the mentor to:
- Contribute to the development of the next generation of employees
- Learn and engage with fresh perspectives
- Share their knowledge and experience
- Have a context for productive reflection on their own career and professional practice
- Acquire enhanced interpersonal skills and management ability
- Students are responsible for taking the lead in initiating contact and setting up meetings
- Mentors are not expected to tutor students or provide personal counseling
- Advice and support will be provided by the Faculty of ABP for both mentors and mentees, with resources available to assist in the process
- Applications forms sent out to VIC ABP construction alumni (May 14). Applications open until June 7. For any questions, please contact ABP Alumni & Stakeholder Relations Coordinator Simon Elchlepp.
- Matching mentors and mentees (June).
- Confirmation emails of successful and unsuccessful matches are sent out to mentors and mentees (first week of July).
- Opening event with mentors and mentees (last week of July).
- Program runs during semester 2 2018 (July 30-October 19); mentors and mentees meet at least three time; both parties receive handouts and email reminders to help structure meetings.
- Closing celebration with mentors and mentees (November)