Mentor our students
The ABP 2019 Mentoring Program aims to assist ABP graduate and final year undergraduate students with their career decision-making process and enable a smooth transition from tertiary study to professional life.
Please note that applications for this program will open on January 17 2019. ABP alumni in Victoria will receive an invitation to apply for the program via email in the first week of March.
- Mentors and students are matched by professional interest and areas on which they seek / can give advice
- The program will run throughout semester one and two (early May to late October)
- Mentors and students are recommended to meet at least 3 times during the course of the mentoring program
- Mentors help familiarize students with their area of work and the career options available to ABP graduates
- Mentors are encouraged to share their decision-making processes in choosing a career path and their experiences throughout their career
- Both parties observe confidentiality and a professional and ethical standard of behaviour, including adhering to occupational health and safety requirements
Meetings with your student might include:
- Conversations regarding work/study/industry matters
- Providing a sounding board regarding career planning and development
- Discussing the benefits of extracurricular opportunities
- Introducing your student to colleagues and professional network
- Work shadowing if appropriate (observing)
Benefits of getting involved
Connection with the University of Melbourne and its community of academics and students allows the mentor to:
- Contribute to the development of the next generation of employees
- Learn and engage with fresh perspectives
- Share their knowledge and experience
- Have a context for productive reflection on their own career and professional practice
- Acquire enhanced interpersonal skills and management ability
- Students are responsible for taking the lead in initiating contact and setting up meetings
- Mentors are not expected to tutor students or provide job/internship opportunities or personal counseling
- Advice and support will be provided by the Faculty of ABP for both mentors and mentees, with resources available to assist in the process
- Applications forms sent out to VIC ABP construction alumni (March 4). Applications open until March 25. For any questions, please contact ABP Alumni & Stakeholder Relations Coordinator Simon Elchlepp.
- Matching mentors and mentees (late March).
- Confirmation emails of successful and unsuccessful matches are sent out to mentors and mentees (first half of April).
- Opening event and workshop with mentors and mentees (first week of May).
- Program runs until the end of semester 2 (October 28); mentors and mentees meet at least three times; both parties receive handouts and email reminders to help structure meetings.
- Closing celebration with mentors and mentees (October 10).