Mentor our students
The ABP Industry Mentoring Program 2021 assists students with their career decision-making process and facilitates a smooth transition from tertiary study to professional life.
Please note that applications for the ABP Industry Mentoring Program 2021 will open in January 2021. Applications are scheduled to close on Sunday March 21 and applicants will be notified of the outcome in the week of Monday March 29.
- Mentors and students are matched by professional interest and areas on which they seek / can give advice
- The program will run throughout semester one and two (late April to late October)
- Mentors and students are recommended to meet at least 3 times during the course of the mentoring program
- Mentors help familiarize students with their area of work and the career options available to ABP graduates
- Mentors are encouraged to share their decision-making processes in choosing a career path and their experiences throughout their career
- Both parties observe confidentiality and a professional and ethical standard of behaviour, including adhering to occupational health and safety requirements
Meetings with your student might include:
- Conversations regarding work/study/industry matters
- Providing a sounding board regarding career planning and development
- Discussing the benefits of extracurricular opportunities
- Introducing your student to colleagues and professional network
- Work shadowing if appropriate (observing)
Benefits of getting involved
Connection with the University of Melbourne and its community of academics and students allows the mentor to:
- Contribute to the development of the next generation of employees
- Learn and engage with fresh perspectives
- Share their knowledge and experience
- Have a context for productive reflection on their own career and professional practice
- Acquire enhanced interpersonal skills and management ability
- Students are responsible for taking the lead in initiating contact and setting up meetings
- Mentors are not expected to tutor students or provide job/internship opportunities or personal counseling
- Advice and support will be provided by the Faculty of ABP for both mentors and mentees, with resources available to assist in the process
- Invitations to apply are sent out to Melbourne ABP alumni (March 1), however alumni can already apply from January. Applications are open until March 21. For any questions, please contact Alumni & Stakeholder Relations Coordinator (ABP) Simon Elchlepp.
- Mentees participate in mandatory workshops (week of March 22).
- Mentors and mentees are matched with each other; confirmation emails of successful and unsuccessful matches are sent out to mentors and mentees (week of March 22).
- Program opening event and workshop with mentors (Tuesday April 13).
- Program runs until the end of semester 2 (October 22); mentors and mentees meet at least three times; both parties receive handouts and email reminders to help structure meetings.
- Closing celebration with mentors and mentees (October 1).