Makerbot 3D Printer
|Makerbot Replicator 2X|
FabLab Office (Room G18)
Submit jobs via FabLab
The Makerbot Replicator 2X uses a fused deposition modeling (FDM) process to melt and extrude ABS and/or PLA plastic onto additive layers. The Makerbot Replicator 2X has two extrusion heads and is capable of printing two materials simultaneously. The ABS/PLA filament is first fed into a heated printer nozzle where it melts into a liquid. Subsequently, the printer nozzle extrude plastic onto the print bed over the areas of the print object. The print bed is then lowered and the process is repeated until the object is fully printed.
Video of Operation
Health and Safety
The Makerbot Replicator 2X is only operated by trained FabLab technicians.
- Refer to the 3D Printer Guidelines.
- Download and use the 3D Printing Template File (Rhino 5) when preparing your file.
- Use the Rhino Custom Display mode to check your file for errors.
- [ Optional ] Attend a Digital Fabrication Technical Session.
- Submit your file to the FabLab for processing.
- The printer has two extrusion heads making it capable of printing two materials simultaneously. It can also print at a slightly higher resolution than the UP Plus 2.
- The Makerbot Replicator 2X is operated by FabLab technicians and generally used for specific jobs which have been identified to be better suited to this machine type.