Listed below are a range of resources related to life cycle assessment (LCA) and improving the environmental performance of construction projects. This includes open-access software, academic articles and additional resources published by the EPiC team.
EPiC Database 2019
- All EPiC resources, including detailed information for each material contained within the database, are available via the EPiC Database figshare collection. This will be updated as new data are added:
- Download the EPiC Database (PDF):
- Download the EPiC Database summary table (PDF):
- Download the excel version of the EPiC Database (.xlsx):
- A short video explaining the EPiC Database, including a basic introduction to life cycle assessment and embodied energy in construction.
Open-source modelling tools for Life Cycle Assessment
- The code for the object-oriented programming used to conduct structural path analysis is freely available on GitHub (http://github.com/hybridlca/pyspa) with further information located at: http://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.8080763.v1. It is also available as a Python package (pyspa) from the central Python package index (PyPi).
- Crawford, R.H., Stephan, A., & Prideaux, F. (2019) A comprehensive database of environmental flow coefficients for construction materials: closing the loop in environmental design. Paper presented at the Revisiting the Role of Architecture for 'Surviving’ Development, Architectural Science Association, Roorkee, India.
- Stephan, A., Crawford, R.H., & Bontinck, P.-A. (2019) A model for streamlining and automating path exchange hybrid life cycle assessment. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 24(2), 237-252. http://doi.org/10.1007/s11367-018-1521-1
- Crawford, R.H., Stephan, A., & Schmidt, M. (2018) Embodied Carbon in Buildings: An Australian Perspective. In F. Pomponi, C. D. Wolf, & A. Moncaster (Eds.), Embodied Carbon in Buildings. Cham: Springer. http://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-72796-7
- Crawford, R.H., Bontinck, P.-A., Stephan, A., Wiedmann, T., & Yu, M. (2018) Hybrid life cycle inventory methods – A review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 172, 1273-1288. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.10.176
- Crawford, R.H., Bontinck, P., & Stephan, A. (2018) Establishing a comprehensive database of construction material environmental flow coefficients for Australia. Paper presented at the Engaging Architectural Science: Meeting the Challenges of Higher Density, Architectural Science Association, Melbourne, Australia.
- Bontinck, P.-A., Crawford, R. H., & Stephan, A. (2017) Improving the uptake of hybrid life cycle assessment in the construction industry. Procedia Engineering, 196, 822-829. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.08.013
- Yu, M., Wiedmann, T., Crawford, R., & Tait, C. (2017) The carbon footprint of Australia's construction sector. Procedia Engineering, 180, 211-220. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.180
- Crawford, R.H., Bontinck, P.-A., Stephan, A., & Wiedmann, T. (2017) Towards an automated approach for compiling hybrid life cycle inventories. Procedia Engineering, 180, 157-166. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.175