Relevant books and book chapters
- Miao, J. T., Benneworth, P. and Phelps, N. A. (2015) ‘Making 21st Century Knowledge Complexes: Technopoles of the World 20 years after’, London: Routledge.
- Maclennan, D.; Miao, J. T.; Christie, L.; Long J. (2021) ‘Raising productivity and housing the economy’, in McCann, P. and Vorley, T. (ed.) Productivity and the Pandemic: Challenges and Insights from Covid-19, cha 14, pp.191-204. Cheltenham UK and Northampton US: Edward Elgar
- Miao, J. T. (2020): ‘Building the Future City of Glasgow: An Evolutionary Perspective,’ In Hyung Min Kim et al (eds.) Smart Cities for Technological and Social Innovation. Cha14. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Kim, HM, Miao, JT & Phelps, NA (2020), ‘International urban development leadership: Singapore, China and South Korea compared’ in Se Hoon Park, Hyun Bang Shin, Hyun Soo Kang (ed.), Exporting Urban Korea? Reconsidering the Korean Urban Development Experience, Cha12, pp. 121–134, Routledge, Abingdon.
- Maclennan, D., Miao, J. T. & Moran, C. (2016) ‘Fully Smart Cities, Knowledge and Learning’, in Orr, K. et al. (eds.) Knowledge and Practice in Business and Organisations. Cha 15, pp201-211. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Miao, J. T. (2013) ‘Technopoles of the World’, in Tewdwr-Jones, M., Phelps, N. A., and Freestone, R. (eds.) The Planning Imagination: Peter Hall and the Study of Urban and Regional Planning. Cha15, pp.188-203. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Miao, J. T. ‘Planning the Smart City,’ Cham: Palgrave Macmillan (single authored book; scheduled to be published in 2023)
- Miao, J. T. & Yigitcanlar T. ‘Routledge Companion of Creativity and the Built Environment,’ London: Routledge (lead-editor; scheduled to be published in 2023)
Relevant journal papers
- Miao, J. T. & Phelps, N. A. ‘Urban Sprawl as Policy Sprawl: Distinguishing Chinese Capitalism’s Suburban Spatial Fix’. Annals of the Association of American Geographers
- The first 50 free copies could be accessed here
- Miao, J. T. ‘Understanding the soft power of China’s Belt and Road initiative through a Discourse Analysis in Europe’. Regional Studies and Regional Science [View PDF]
- Phelps N. A., Miao, J. T., Zhang, X. (2021) ‘Polycentric urbanization as enclave urbanization: a research agenda with illustrations from the Yangtze River Delta Region (YRDR), China’. Territory, Politics, Governance
- Miao, J. T (2020) ‘Getting creative with housing? Case studies of Paintworks, Bristol and Baltic Triangle, Liverpool’. European Planning Studies,29(6) 1050-1070,
- Miao, J. T. (2020) ‘Definition and typologies of local innovation systems: a case study of Optics Valley in central China’. Area Development and Policy,5(2) 212-232
- Phelps N. A., Miao, J. T. (2020) ‘Varieties of urban entrepreneurialism’, Dialogues in Human Geography 10(3), 304-321
- Phelps N. A., Miao, J. T. (2020) ‘The entrepreneurial lie of the land’, Dialogues in Human Geography 10(3), 341-344
- Miao, J. T (2019) ‘Planning Particularities: Reinterpreting Urban Planning in China with the Case of Chengdu’. Planning Theory and Practice 20(4), 512-536
- Miao, J. T. & N. A. Phelps (2019) ‘The Intrapreneurial State: Singapore’s Emergence in the Smart and Sustainable Urban Solutions Field’. Territory, Politics, Governance 7(3),316-335
- Miao, J. T. & N. A. Phelps (2019) ‘Featured town’ fever: The anatomy of a concept and its elevation to national policy in China’, Habitat International 87, 44-53
- Miao, J. T. & Maclennan D. (2019) ‘The rhetoric–reality gap of cities’ success: learning from the practice of Scottish cities’. Regional Studies,53(12) 1761-1771
- D. Valler; N. A. Phelps; Miao, J. T.; Paul Benneworth; Franziska Eckardt (2019) ‘Science Spaces as Ethnoscapes: Identity, Perception and the Production of Locality’, Urban Science 3(1), 17 [view PDF]
- Miao, J. T. (2018) ‘Knowledge Economy Challenges for Post-Developmental State: Tsukuba Science City as In-Between Place’. Town Planning Review 89(1), 61-84
- Miao, J. T. (2018) ‘Parallelism and evolution in transnational policy transfer networks: the case of Sino-Singapore Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP)’. Regional Studies 52(9), 1191-1200
- Miao, J. T. (2016) ‘Housing the Knowledge Economy in China: An Examination of Housing Provision in Support of Science Parks’. Urban Studies, 54(6) 1426-1445
Relevant policy reports and working papers
- MacLennan, D.; Christie, L. and Miao, J. T. (2020) ‘Raising Productivity, Housing the Economy’, a Pioneer Project Report for the Productivity Insights Network (funded by the UK Economic and Social Research Council). [view PDF]
- Miao, J. T. (2019) ‘Housing the Creative Sector: A comparative study of Paintworks, Bristol and Baltic Triangle, Liverpool’, Funded report for the UK Collaborative Centre for Housing Evidence (ESRC, AHRC and Joseph Rowntree Foundation Joint Research Centre of Excellence). [view PDF]
- Miao, J. T. (2019) ‘The evolution of smart city: case studies of Barcelona, Spain and Helsinki, Finland’. Report funded by the Taiwan Urban Development Institute. [View PDF]
- Maclennan, D & Miao, J. T. (2017), ‘Transformative transfers: growing capacities in UK social housing’. Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Report No. 276: Melbourne. [view PDF]
- Miao, J. T. (2013) ‘Review of cities’success: reflection on cities performances and competitiveness in Scotland’, funded by the Scottish Cities Alliance (SCA). [View PDF]
Direct Project Outputs
1. Planning Logic Chain Preliminary Analysis: Monash
2. Planning Logic Chain Preliminary Analysis: Zhangjiang
3. Planning Logic Chain Preliminary Analysis: Boston