Teaching in built environments education is both exciting and challenging. Find a list of answers to common questions here.

  • Where can I find guidance for running a Dual Delivery subject?

    BEL+T has a dedicated page that provides Guidance for Dual Delivery.  This guidance has been informed by a review of two decades of international research on the topic, by student voices across the Faculty and University, and Dual Delivery guidance from Learning Environments as at January 2021.

    BEL+T is available to consult with ABP subject coordinators on the design of Dual Delivery approaches and to assist with updates to Canvas sites. Please email abp-belt@unimelb.edu.au to discuss.

  • Where can I find guidance for running my subject online?
  • Where can I find information and resources for Canvas?

    You can find links to resources for support and training, advice on Canvas site design, and information on external learning tools at the BEL+T Canvas page.

    BEL+T also has guidance for Incorporating Learning Tools into Canvas to enhance your teaching

    Finally, Learning Environments host a range of workshops, events and webinars. Find out more about Canvas workshops, including times and types.

  • How can I improve my teaching?

    Effective teaching starts with understanding student learning. The University provides numerous resources to support teaching staff improve their teaching.

    Find them under the BEL+T Teaching Quality tab.

    For further reading on the fundamental principles of effective teaching in higher education,  and understanding student learning, Chapter 2 of the Melbourne Sessional Teachers' Handbook is available here.

  • What is the difference between formative and summative assessment?

    Formative and Summative assessment are the two main forms of generally-accepted assessment. This page outlines each, which may help bring further clarity to the assessment 'conversations' you are having with students, and at what time in the semester: Formative and Summative Assessment

    You can find further guidance on providing assessment and feedback on the BEL+T Assessment + Feedback page.

  • Where can I find the At Risk Early Alert Form?

    The AT RISK EARLY ALERT FORM is a mechanism used by the faculty to identify and contact ABP and MSD students who may be experiencing difficulties in their subjects.

    Find out more information and access a link to the form.

  • I am a sessional staff member and I need information. Where can I start?

    Support for sessional staff members is available through the Faculty. You can find some useful links and contacts below:

    The Built Environments Learning and Teaching (BEL+T) group has developed three learning experiences for ABP teaching staff. These are the Introduction to ABPABP Teaching Fundamentals, and ABP Teaching Online. They can be found through the ABP Teaching Canvas Community site. All sessional staff are encouraged to register for one or both of the related workshops, make use of the preparation, and engage with related resources over the semester. Staff are able to enrol themselves into this community, or, if already enrolled, are able to access the community via Canvas.

    The links on this BEL+T Sessional Setup page offer help to a sessional tutor setting up at the beginning of the role, or the beginning of a new semester.  This page focuses on practical issues; like getting access to facilities and getting paid.

    ABP Great Teaching offers resources for teaching approaches and skills, and links for new (and experienced) educators to learn more.

    The University Staff Hub includes news items from across the University to stay up to date, as well as access to systems and policies, as well as support.

  • Where can I find the Extension Application Form?

    EXTENSIONS of up to ten days may be offered to students if circumstances outside of their control have affected a student’s ability to complete an assessment task on time.  ABP teaching staff may direct students to the Application for Extensions guidelines. The guidelines outline the conditions for eligibility. The form must be completed by the students. Students requiring extensions longer than 10 working days must apply for Special Consideration through the Student Information System.


  • I suspect academic misconduct with one of my students. What should I do?
  • I am worried that some of my students are going through personal issues. What can I do?

    "As a staff member, you may observe signs that indicate a student is experiencing distress, or at risk of deteriorating mental health, and be able to provide a timely response. Assisting students to access mental health support early can be critical in preventing problems from becoming more serious or prolonged, and potentially reduce adverse impacts of mental health issues on a person’s academic/work functioning, relationships, and quality of life. Early intervention is also associated with better recovery outcomes." Counselling and Psychological Services, The University of Melbourne.

    The University offers a wide range of services for immediate help, as well as resources, such as mental health training that are available to staff.

    Find more information via the following links:

  • Where can I find wellbeing support resources for staff?

    Juggling the many tasks and responsibilities that come alongside teaching is both rewarding and challenging. Looking after you own physical and mental wellbeing is essential to keep a healthy balance. Be sure to check out the BEL+T Sessional Staff Getting Help page, which contains links to many resources including counseling and psychological services, OHS and emergency information, as well as general ABP Wellbeing.

  • I want to give feedback to the BEL+T team about how the website could be improved. How do I do this?

    We are always looking for ways to improve! If you have any feedback or suggestions on how we could improve the BEL+T website or other BEL+T resources, please email us at abp-belt@unimelb.edu.au