How might shopping centres be reconfigured / redesigned to increase efficiency and reduce impulse-buying?
In a sustainable future, products will still need to be purchased, but consumption for its own sake will be less appropriate. Simulating Selection proposes mapping consumption patterns and designing shopping centre layouts so that consumers can easily visit the section they need without going through all other areas. This project combines technology and architecture to allow continued engagement with a mainstream consumption model, while addressing the need to become more thoughtful consumers.
- http://www.terraswarm.com/ (aranda/ lasch- architects in NY)
- http://www.lalena.com/AI/Flock/ (flocking simulator)
- The sociology of consumption : an introduction / Peter Corrigan. London ; Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Sage Publications, 1997
- The consumer society : myths and structures / Jean Baudrillard.London : SAGE Publications, 1998.
- The social psychology of consumer behaviour / Richard P. Bagozzi, Zeynep Gürhan-Canli and Joseph R. Priester. Buckingham [England] ; Philadelphia : Open University Press, 2002.