This studio is available to students enrolled in ABPL90142 Studio C, ABPL90143 Studio D, ABPL90115 Studio E and ABPL90389 Master of Urban Design Studio C.
Site: Central Pier Docklands, Melbourne
Type: Mixed-Use Development, Urban Regeneration, Urban Catalyst
Programme: Thermal Bath & Public Lap Pool, Boutique Hotel, Market, Commercial
Scale: XL; Architecture & Urban Design
// Scales of Thought and Operation
At the urban scale, Docklands past and present histories will form the context for critical observation, research, and analyses. Students will reposition the Docklands through an urban hypothesis – a future yet to come - that will be tested through their architectural propositions.
At architectural scale, students will be designing in pairs large-scale mixed-use architectural projects at Docklands Central Pier in Melbourne.
// Design-Research Questions
- What rare opportunities does the centrally located post-industrial water site offer to the city?
- How can this site uniquely address the changed urban needs in light of climate change?
- How can this bare urban landscape be envisioned in imaginative, experimental and attractive ways that blend architecture with urban and landscape design?
- How can the Docklands context inform an architecture that mixes civic, commercial, and infrastructural programmes in creative ways, while questioning the usual paradigms of ‘Public-Private Partnerships’?
- How can we build with the water(on, above, under, along)to inform structures that generate interesting spatial opportunities and programme configurations?
- How does urban tourism need to be reconceptualised in the context of (post-) pandemics?
- What could the different architectural positions of ‘Stage the City’ (Rogers) and ‘City as Stage’ (Gehry) mean in this context?
- THERMAL BATHING CENTRE
- Change Rooms
- SPA / Private hire pods / Sauna / Steam bath
- HOT SPRINGS RESEARCH INSTITUTE
- Offices + Administration
- Ferry Ticket Office
- BOUTIQUE HOTEL
- 70 hotel rooms
- Yoga Studio
- Dance Studio
- ACTIVITY BOOKING CENTRE
- bike hire / kayak / tours etc.
- KAYAK LAUNCH STATION
- PUBLIC OUTDOORS SWIMMING POOL
- 30 to 50m Lap pool
- Change rooms
- Regional fresh food and vegetables
- Cafes + dining
// Generative Techniques
a) SITE VISITS: Docklands and Victorian Archives Centre (sketch/photo/film)
b) SPECIALIST INPUT and Workshops: Docklands + Structural Engineering + Hot Springs
d) COMPOSITE MAPPING
e) CASE STUDY ANALYSES
Markus Jung is a Melbourne-based, German architect and urbanist. He grew up in Italy where his passions for cities and human interactions were nurtured. In 2005, he co-founded the architecture and urban design agency XPACE in Zurich. XPACE investigates strategies of metropolitan transformation, incorporating resources and the existing built and social fabrics as drivers for sustainable city-making. Markus’ co-authored book Building Mixity! was shortlisted for the Australian Urban Design Awards in 2019, while his water urbanism research in Kunshan China, received the 2017 Award of Excellence in Innovation by the Australian government. His latest project ‘Melbourne Cool Lines!’ was exhibited at the 17th Venice Architecture Biennale, CITYX Italian Virtual Pavilion in 2021 and was runner-up at the ‘Rethinking the Future Awards’ in 2022. Markus has held permanent academic positions at ETH Zurich, Monash University and was a visiting professor at Southwest Jiaotong University Chengdu.
XPACE architecture + urban design: www.xpace.cc
Readings & References
NYC, Copenhagen, Zurich, Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux, Dresden, Tokyo (Bay)
Baths & Thermal Baths:
Japan; Baden Aargau CH; Zurich River Baths; Therme Vals; Tamina Thermal Baths; Merano Thermal Bath; Les Bains des Docks LeHavre; Tschuggen Berg Oase; Yunfeng Spa Resort; Eskisehir Hotel and SPA, Turkey; Tierra Atacama Hotel, Chile; Les Sources de Caudalie, Bordeaux
Ian Schrager Hotels; Puerta America, Barcelona; Riders Hotel, Laax; QT Russel Street; ESO Hotel, Chile; Danieli and Bauer, Venice; Palafitte, Neuchatel; Crillion Hotel Paris; Zacher Vienna; Nunduk, Lake Wellington Gippsland; Hotel Fouquet Paris; Le Roch Hotel and SPA, Paris; Public NYC, Roxy Hotel NYC
Price, Rogers, Piano, Gehry, MVRDV, Coop Himmelb(l)au, Nouvel, Archigram, OMA, BIG
Schedule Mondays 18:15-21:15 and Thursdays 12:00-15:00
ABPL90389 Urban Design Studio C is dual-delivery.
ABPL90142/3/115 Studio C/D/E delivery modes will finalised after the ballot and published to Canvas before the start of semester, Monday 25 July.
Off-campus Activities Week 3