Application for Extension Guidelines
Timing of Applications
Applications for extension must be submitted prior to the assessment due date. Students requesting an extension after the due date of the assessment must apply for Special Consideration here.
This application form is only for subjects administered by the Faculty of Architecture, Building & Planning. For subjects administered by other Faculties, click here for info on how to apply.
Guidelines for Eligibility
Students may be granted an extension of up to 10 working days (14 calendar days) if the student’s capacity to complete work by the due date has been affected by significant factors beyond their control and which can be verified by supporting evidence. These circumstances might include, but are not limited to:
- acute illness (medical/psychological) or physical injury
- bereavement - the death of a close family member or friend
- carer commitments - the illness of a child, parent/guardian, or spouse, for whom the student is the primary caregiver. More info here.
- chronic illness (medical/psychological) or physical injury, more info here.
- computer failure or technical issues (visit special consideration (technical) for information on supporting documents and how to apply).
- cultural or religious observance - involvement in a religious ceremony or cultural event supported by documentation from a relevant religious congregation or cultural authority. More info here.
- defence reservists or emergency volunteers commitments, more info here.
- disability, more info here.
- elite athletes or performers commitments, more info here.
- exacerbation of an ongoing circumstance or illness (medical/psychological)
- family violence
- hardship or trauma - arising from an unforeseen event that substantially impacts on the preparation of an assignment, such as family breakdown or substantial change to economic circumstances.
- legal commitments - where a student is called for jury duty or is subpoenaed to attend a court, tribunal, or hearing, supported by documentary evidence.
- sexual assault
Extensions will not be provided in the following circumstances:
- assessment tasks in other subjects due, employment responsibilities and routine financial support needs
- difficulties adjusting to university life
- language difficulties
- minor inconvenience
- minor disruption to studies that might result from a minor illness, mishap, or other minor adversity.
- misreading your timetable
- personal events (such as weddings or birthdays)
- public transport delays
- regular, normal life events, such as family life, work, sporting activities, social and other commitments
- stress or 'normal' anxiety
- study difficulties
- the nature of the assessment precludes the granting of additional time (e.g. a problem set for which the answers have been released)
- the program relies on integrated assessment across more than one subject.
- the subject is taught intensively and the assessment is tightly integrated into teaching
- travel plans
Students experiencing ongoing circumstances (expected duration is longer than 6 weeks) should register online for ongoing support. Click here to read more about ongoing support.
Students requiring extensions longer than 10 working days (14 calendar days) must apply for Special Consideration due to unexpected circumstances. Click here for information on how to apply.
A separate application form is required for each subject which requires an extension.
Students are required to provide supporting documentation, such as a medical certificate or police report, and explain the impact of the circumstances on their ability to complete the assessment task.
Submission of an application for an extension does not mean automatic approval. Students should submit their work as soon as possible as there is no guarantee that they will get the outcome they are seeking and late penalties would apply.
Submission of assignment after receiving an extension
Students granted an extension must attach the advice of the extension to their assignment when submitting via LMS or to the subject coordinator/tutor/studio leader.